Head of Components & Mechanisms Engineering
ABL Space Systems
El Segundo, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2023
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As the Head of Components and Mechanisms at ABL, you will be responsible for building and leading a team of engineers to design, build, test, and fly components and mechanisms for the Propulsion and Vehicle systems. This multi-disciplinary role requires deep, fundamental knowledge of various types of valves (solenoid, piloted, regulators, etc.), thrust vector control actuators, quick disconnects, and hold down release mechanisms. The Head of Components and Mechanisms sets the roadmap for the organization, establishes design and test standards, and serves as the primary interface to the partner domains. A successful leader in this position cultivates strong relationships across engineering, production, quality, and supply chain teams and builds a team of high quality engineering professionals.
- Build and lead a successful Components and Mechanisms team
- Set the roadmap for component development that meets propulsion and vehicle system requirements
- Establish and maintain Design and Test standards aligned with industry
- Drive reliability into components and mechanisms through rigorous development and qualification testing
- Work closely with Production Team to establish, maintain, and grow work centers and technician training requirements
- Drive design for manufacturability initiatives to achieve cost and rate targets
- Bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering, manufacturing engineering, material science, mechanical engineering or similar degree with 7+ years of relevant experience with 2+ years in a leadership role
- Hands-on end to end project experience building complex components and assemblies
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Liquid rocket engine and launch vehicle component development experience
- Demonstrated ability to lead and scale engineering and technician teams
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interface with senior leadership, design engineering, production, and business teams
- Demonstrated experience in early product development and transition to full rate production
- Ability to cultivate strong intrapersonal relationships with engineers, technicians, and external vendors for efficient and rapid production of high quality components
- Dedicated team player who’s excited about ABL’s first launch system!
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.
See more open positions at ABL Space Systems
Something looks off?