Scientist - Targeted Delivery
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
You’ve worked hard to become the professional you are today and are now ready to take the next step in your career. How will you put your skills, experience and passion to work toward your goals? At Amgen, our shared mission—to serve patients—drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world’s leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Come do your best work alongside other innovative, driven professionals in this meaningful role.
Scientist – Targeted Delivery
What you will do
Let’s do this. Let’s change the world. In this vital role you be part of the fast-paced, integrated and interactive department of RNA Therapeutics with responsibilities including (but not limited to) the discovery, design, preparation, characterization, and testing of novel compounds and formulations for potential clinical drug development. This will include the opportunity to work within Amgen’s RNA Therapeutics group, which is focused on novel and innovative ways to deliver RNA to modulate intractable targets in unmet medical conditions, and cross-functionally with Biologics and Small Molecule Therapeutic Discovery and Amgen’s Therapeutic Areas on the delivery of a variety of modalities.
- The Scientist will work as part of the RNA Therapeutics team responsible for developing RNA delivery strategies, including LNP-mediated delivery.
- You will design and optimize the LNP libraries, formulation, and production processes to achieve tissue- and cell-specific tropism and/or targeting.
- As a Scientist for Amgen, you will interact directly with researchers within RNA Therapeutics, Research Biomics, Therapeutic Discovery, and multiple Therapeutic Areas to identify novel surface receptor ligands and lead efforts to apply receptor ligands for functional delivery of oligonucleotides.
- Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to: devising and implementing creative scientific strategies to address RNA delivery issues through conducting laboratory experiments, working closely with other researchers to influence team direction and advance programs, communicating progress and strategy in various forums, and preparing technical documents.
- Serve as a scientific resource to the department who will champion new technologies/ideas to enhance capabilities.
- May directly or indirectly lead research associates within a collaborative environment and be responsible for technical training and professional development.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The RNA Therapeutics professional we seek is a self-disciplined Scientist with these qualifications.
- Doctorate degree OR
- Master's degree and 4 years of LNP formulation experience or RNA chemistry or pharmaceutical research experience OR
- Bachelor's degree and 6 years of LNP formulation experience or RNA chemistry or pharmaceutical research experience
- Doctorate degree in Organic/Medicinal Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry or a similar field
- Candidates should have a strong background in RNA delivery, especially in the extra-hepatic setting
- 3+ years of demonstrated ability in LNP formulation or RNA chemistry or RNA delivery methods
- Experience in lab scale preparation of LNPs using microfluidics (Nanoassemblr)
- Experience in DNA barcoding and single cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq).
- Proficient skills in isolation and analytical characterization of encapsulated LNPs
- Experience participating on a team that has advanced RNA-LNPs to clinical development
- Track record of consistent and successful drug discovery accomplishments (e.g., patent inventorship, conference presentations, and peer-reviewed publications)
- Deep understanding of drug discovery concepts with high lab productivity
- Demonstration of good lab practices, with particular attention to safety
- Experience coaching others (internal or CRO)
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral), leadership skills and the ability to work well in teams
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates’ professional and personal growth and well-being.
The annual base salary range for this opportunity in the U.S. is $127,590-146,160.
In addition to the base salary, Amgen offers a Total Rewards Plan comprising health and welfare plans for staff and eligible dependents, financial plans with opportunities to save towards retirement or other goals, work/life balance, and career development opportunities including:
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including a Retirement and Savings Plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
- A discretionary annual bonus program, or for field sales representatives, a sales-based incentive plan
- Stock-based long-term incentives
- Award-winning time-off plans and bi-annual company-wide shutdowns
- Flexible work models, including remote work arrangements, where possible
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.
If you’re seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you’ll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancers, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Something looks off?