Pilot Plant - Manager, Downstream
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
You’ve worked hard to become the professional you are today and are now ready to take the next step in your career. How will you put your skills, experience and passion to work toward your goals? At Amgen, our shared mission—to serve patients—drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world’s leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Come do your best work alongside other innovative, driven professionals in this meaningful role.
Pilot Plant – Manager, Downstream
What you will do
Let’s do this! Let’s change the world! In this vital role, you will execute a variety of production-related operations in a large scale pilot plant, including but not limited to: performing processing on the floor (purification of Drug Substance); performing supporting activities such as buffer preparation, and equipment set-up/cleaning, execution of downstream operations, and managing staff.
Work will also include executing production runs, experiments, commercial program support, and characterization efforts. Additional activities will include defining & documenting operation practices, ensuring documentation accurately reflects operations performed, developing and implementing area improvements (efficiency and safety) and lean principles, commissioning equipment, and participating in operations meetings.
The Thousand Oaks Pilot Plant performs frequent piloting of novel process operations (focusing primarily on large molecule cell culture and purification operations), driving technology development, supporting innovation across Amgen’s entire spectrum, as well as executing non-GMP and pre-pivotal GMP bioprocessing operations for multiple mammalian and microbial products in order to develop & demonstrate production processes and produce bulk material. We produce sound, relevant data for the processes Amgen developments at meaningful scales that enable the rapid, successful transfer of our output to more dedicated manufacturing spaces. The environment is challenging, fast-paced and ever-changing with varying degrees of process definition, but very rewarding for those that like hands-on science and want to make process improvements in a development space.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The biotech/pharma professional we seek is a collaborative leader with these qualifications.
- High school diploma/GED and 12 years of Manufacturing & Operations experience OR
- Associate’s degree and 10 years of Manufacturing & Operations experience OR
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of Manufacturing & Operations experience OR
- Master’s degree and 3 years of Manufacturing & Operations experience OR
- Doctorate degree
- Previous managerial experience directly managing people and/or experience in leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
- Solid knowledge of downstream, as well as a general knowledge of the associated analytical and buffer preparation techniques
- Energetic and technically-minded, with strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrate the ability to learn new systems and applications, and various purification techniques
- Work effectively in team and/or project environments; possess strong math and computer skills, as well as the ability to apply science-based thinking to practical applications
- Experience in cGMP production environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or Chemical/Biological Engineering (or other relevant field) and 1 or more years of managerial experience in Life Sciences field
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates’ professional and personal growth and well-being.
This position will be paid on an hourly basis. The annualized base pay range for this opportunity in the U.S. is $101,569 – $123,545.
In addition to the base salary, Amgen offers a Total Rewards Plan comprising health and welfare plans for staff and eligible dependents, financial plans with opportunities to save towards retirement or other goals, work/life balance, and career development opportunities including:
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including a Retirement and Savings Plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
- A discretionary annual bonus program, or for field sales representatives, a sales-based incentive plan
- Stock-based long-term incentives
- Award-winning time-off plans and bi-annual company-wide shutdowns
- Flexible work models, including remote work arrangements, where possible
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.
If you’re seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you’ll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancers, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Something looks off?