Scientist, Protein Engineering - Chemical Conjugation Technology
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
You’ve worked hard to become the professional you are today and are now ready to take the next step in your career. How will you put your skills, experience and passion to work toward your goals? At Amgen, our shared mission—to serve patients—drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world’s leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Come do your best work alongside other innovative, driven professionals in this meaningful role.
Scientist, Protein Engineering – Chemical Conjugation Technology
What you will do
Let’s do this. Let’s change the world. The hybrid Modality Group in the Protein Engineering Department of Biologics Therapeutic Discovery at Amgen is seeking a highly motivated scientist in the field of chemical conjugation to join us in the state-of-the-art research facility at the Amgen headquarters campus located in Thousand Oaks, CA. In this vital role you will work at the interface of synthetic chemistry, biochemistry, and chemical biology, and apply their chemical synthesis skills in developing new hybrid therapeutics and cutting-edge novel modalities.
- Responsibilities including (but not limited to) the design, synthesis, purification and characterization of small molecule payloads and linkers for development of novel antibody-drug conjugates
- Design, synthesis, purification and characterization of antibody, protein, peptide conjugates for potential clinical drug development
- The scientist will work in teams to develop novel chemical conjugation methods and establish new conjugation platforms
- The scientist will review, analyze, and interpret scientific data and results; providing regular updates, documentation, and/or communication on project results; collaborating with other scientists and keeping current with field of expertise, including literature and technology development.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The dynamic professional we seek is a scientist with these qualifications.
Master’s degree and 4 years of laboratory experience
Bachelor’s degree and 6 years of laboratory experience
- PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related field
- A track record of scientific accomplishments (e.g., peer-reviewed publications and patents)
- Proficient skills in organic synthesis and experiences in bioconjugation
- Clear understanding of structural determination using NMR and MS techniques and proficient with a range of chromatography methods (e.g. HPLC, RP HPLC, ion exchange, size exclusion chromatography)
- Demonstration of good lab practices, with particular attention to safety
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work comfortably within a large team of scientists and engineers with diverse technical and cultural backgrounds
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates’ professional and personal growth and well-being.
The annual base salary range for this opportunity in the U.S. is $126,579 – $147,433.
In addition to the base salary, Amgen offers a Total Rewards Plan comprising health and welfare plans for staff and eligible dependents, financial plans with opportunities to save towards retirement or other goals, work/life balance, and career development opportunities including:
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including a Retirement and Savings Plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
- A discretionary annual bonus program, or for field sales representatives, a sales-based incentive plan
- Stock-based long-term incentives
- Award-winning time-off plans and bi-annual company-wide shutdowns
- Flexible work models, including remote work arrangements, where possible
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.
If you’re seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you’ll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancers, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Something looks off?