Head of Medical Operations
Check out “Inside Modern Animal” for a glimpse into what makes Modern Animal different. Our headquarters is based in Los Angeles, with existing and upcoming clinics in California and Texas - and continued expansion across the U.S. in 2024 and beyond.
Modern Animal is looking for our first-ever Head of Medical Operations to join our growing team.
This new and exciting addition to our team will focus on leading and developing our Area Medical Directors, with the ultimate goal of elevating and consistently improving medical quality, practice performance, team cohesion and engagement.
While nurturing and growing our medical leaders through hands-on leadership and coaching, the Director of Medical Operations will collaborate with the Vice President of Operations to optimize and drive clinical performance by deeply understanding the overarching clinic challenges, helping to set and manage metrics, and determining financial expectations. Success in the position will be measured through the lens of our Four Commitments, which include medical quality, employee engagement, member experience, and profitable growth.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about pets and the people who love them, and is excited about rolling up their sleeves to bring our mission to life as we grow. You will travel frequently to ensure our medical leaders have the one-on-one support and tools necessary to ensure high medical quality, drive a positive and collaborative culture, and foster a continuous culture of learning and development in each of our clinics. Residing in the western US and/or being open to relocation is a requirement due to the frequent travel to our clinics (50-75%). California and Texas are ideal locations but are not required.
What you’ll be working on:
Strategic Execution & Operational Excellence
- Build on the Company’s mission to inspire and strengthen a culture focused on excellence across medical quality, employee engagement, member experience, and profitability
- Contribute to the short and long-term strategies of the organization through a deep understanding of our business and people, and lead the development of an innovative, highly competent medical team that is in alignment with those strategies
- Establish and monitor meaningful metrics to track operational and leadership effectiveness as well as the impact of programmatic efforts
- Effectively implement changes - operational and technology driven - into the clinics and virtual care organization
- Lead a culture of continuous learning and development across clinics and regions as we scale
People Leadership & Development
- Evaluate and oversee onboarding efforts to ensure newly hired team members are set up for success
- Evaluate leader performance and provide appropriate guidance and/or recognition. Provide one-on-one coaching to leadership to help resolve problems, strengthen their leadership skills, and solidify cultural values
- Build a learning culture by encouraging operational leaders to develop top talent by providing on the job training and coaching
- Work as a partner to the operations org to recommend ways to improve doctor satisfaction and grow our doctor pipeline
- Ensure the operations team is an excellent partner to the regional medical director(s) to build a collaborative and effective culture focused capable of adopting change
- Lead activities regionally that advance our credibility and focus on medical excellence and patient outcomes
New Clinic Expansions
- Maintain strong knowledge of market competition with a focus on driving reputational excellence
- Prepare for clinic openings across regions and ensure a strategy is in place to hire, onboard and train doctors at scale
Why you’d be a great fit:
- Valid license to practice veterinary medicine in the state of California. Current licensure that is in good standing or eligibility for such licensure - to include all states for clinics under supervision
- 10+ years of clinical practice with a minimum of 5 years in a leadership role
- Demonstrated history of creating and leading high-performance teams in a geographically dispersed environment, preferably across 5+ regions and 50+ locations
- Demonstrated history of leading teams in clinic and through telehealth and virtual care channels
- Passion to achieve great results and to significantly grow the organization. Demonstrated capabilities in setting priorities and guiding investment in people
- Orientation toward action, and an ability to work in an ambiguous, fast-paced and rapidly changing environment, while driving towards clarity and solutions
- History of taking on and solving hard problems
- Incredible levels of tenacity, empathy, resiliency, and energy
- Operational acumen and strong relationship management; outstanding communication skills
- Dedication to our mission and values
- Customer-oriented and service-minded
- Ability to travel through CA, Texas and upcoming West Coast and Central based markets as we expand
What you can expect from us:
- DEA and veterinary license reimbursement
- Professional liability insurance
- Annual CE allowance and paid CE days
- Guaranteed salaries
- Sign-on bonus
- No non-competes
- Paid time off, paid sick time, paid parental leave, and paid holidays
- Stellar benefits package including health, dental, vision, and 401K with a company match
- Free membership to One Medical for primary care
- Access to Ginger for behavioral and mental health support
- Free membership to Modern Animal and discount services for your pets
The pay range for this position is $160,000 - $250,000 annually; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and equity grant units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the California Pay Transparency Act. Base pay information is based on geographic location.
We believe an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re not looking for candidates who are “culture fits.” We’re looking for candidates who can expand our culture and challenge business as usual. We strive to foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work, by their own definition, and we strive to provide all candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics.
In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process, or if you have feedback on how to make our recruiting more equitable or accessible, please let us know!
Something looks off?