Senior Propulsion Design Engineer
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Neutron is a medium lift launch vehicle capable of delivering the mega constellations of tomorrow, high assurance payloads, and human spaceflight. As a highly reusable launch platform, Neutron will deliver a highly cost-effective and reliable launch solution leveraging Rocket Lab’s proven execution history with the Electron program. If you’re interested in joining a high performing team, pushing the boundaries with a clean sheet development of re-usable liquid launch vehicle, this is your opportunity!
Senior Propulsion Design Engineer
Based out of Rocket Lab's our headquarters in Long Beach, CA the Senior Propulsion Design Engineer, Neutron is responsible design of engine components (combustion chambers, turbo machinery, engine layout, etc.) for the Archimedes Engine. In this role you’ll have the opportunity to design, analyze and build hardware. You will support the Neutron and Archimedes teams, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Work with technical subject matter experts to design engine systems to performance, quality and manufacturability requirements
- Work on mechanical designs for the propulsion systems
- Perform trade studies with analysts, manufacturing engineers and subject matter experts for concept designs
- Work with internal and external fabrication teams to bring hardware from design to fruition
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in relevant engineering field
- Knowledge of heat transfer, fluids and structural mechanics
- Fundamental understanding of mechanical design principals
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Proficiency in GDT
- Professional experience with NX, Ansys, and other commercial analysis software packages
- Experience with propulsion systems design, analysis, test, operations, and/or manufacturing
- Experience with best practices for design, qualification and production
- Experience with a scrappy development environment.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation offer package based on individual qualifications and experience, including company stock. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.
Something looks off?